Saturday, May 25, 2013

Editing


I am beginning the editing process.  I just hired an editor, a wonderful woman who seems to be right in my head.  She is awesome and I can't wait to hear her advice.  I am nervous of course and I have to have an open mind, but I know that it will be worth it.  I think one of the hardest part of writing was getting over my pride.  I had to learn that I did NOT know everything, and I could grow from advice or critiques given to me with the best intentions, although I realize that once the public gets a hold of my novels, they may not all have kind critiques to give.  You cannot please everyone, though I will give it a try.
I will confess though that I had taken a break from my manuscript for a while, because I had gotten to the point where I had worked on it so hard and for so long that I just could not look at it again.  I love my story and I believe that it has value as a book, but it is like trying to fix an essay question on a school test.  It begins to wear you out.
I am happy to find though that after a long hietus I am ready to get back to it. Only when the opprotunity finally came, to pay for and hire an editor, I had to get over a wave of fear that overtook me.  It had been so long since I had written and I was scared that I would not be able to do it again.  Luckily, it seems to be much like riding a bike.  After a few days of soul searching, and reasurance from my husband and children, I found that I could do it, and it felt quite natural.  I am very excited to get started again.
I guess that is the key... you have to believe in yourself, practice, be willing to work hard, and take advice.  It is difficult to get over the initial shock that you are not as brilliant as you hoped, but once you get over yourself, magic can happen.
I have listened to a lot of interviews of various authors, because I think that we can learn a lot from each other, and each of our experiences, and all of them have said this, "If you want to be a great writer, you have to read a lot, and you also have to write, daily..."  I admit that I have struggled with that one, but I am working on improving my habits. I also want to add my advice to thiers, TAKE ADVICE, be open minded and listen to those around you.  If you look to those people who have your best interests at heart, and truly support you.  That will help... at least it has helped me.
I will admit that I am still a bit nervous, but I am also VERY excited.  I believe in my story.  I know that I have worked hard to get to where I am, and to learn as much as I can.  I believe that I have not dreamed my whole life for this for nothing.  I feel like I may have a talent (though I may need to refine it for the entirity of my life), and I believe that God has a plan for me and my life.  Yes, I said God.  I trust in him, I believe in him, and I need him in my life.  If you do not believe, I do not hold it against you, however, for my sake I need Him.  I know that without Him nothing is possible, and that I feel like He believes in me too.
My faith aside, I hope that if you are a writer, you will find yourself able to reach out to someone you trust to give you advice on your work.  Writers can be brilliant, but it you are humble, you may find your work blessed by those who also believe in you.  I wish you luck and success.  Truly I do.  Put in the effort and it will pay off.
P.S.  I will keep you up to date on my progress.