Saturday, February 8, 2014

Still Editing


  I'm still in the editing phase of my manuscript preparation process.  Sometimes it feels like I am pulling my feet through mud.  I don't know if you have gone through that process, but it is not easy especially if you have read, reread, and read again while writing the manuscript in the first place. The thing that also makes it difficult is that my editor lives in another state.  We have to do everything over the internet and via emails.  I hope that one day, maybe this spring, we will be done, but I am not holding my breath. I tend to be optimistic about life, but when it comes to the book, it comes a little harder.
  I wonder how many other authors go through that.  I know I can't be the only one, only I struggle a little more because I had to work a little harder than most.  I barely graduated high school, and although I did graduate, I really struggled with English class and grammar.  You may be asking why or how I might have become an author, but it has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember.  When I was a little girl, before I even knew what the alphabet was, I was scribbling out line after line of what was a story in my head.
  It has taken me years to complete this first manuscript, mostly because I was a stay at home mom and along with my four healthy children I cared for and lost three of my seven children to a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy.  Needless to say, I had some setbacks and moments that left me without thoughts of my own, or left me too tired and sorrowful to continue.  However, here we are.  I am in the editing process, and I am so excited to see what my friend does with it.  She is very "in my head" as it is.  I am blessed to have her help, and I understand that we will get there one day soon.
  I want to encourage everyone that is trying to become a writer, whatever that means to you, I encourage you not to give up.  Keep going and don't be discouraged by advice and critiques.  Seriously, if you want to get better, you have to ask for help, advice, and opinions.  You don't have to accept them all, but you should listen at least.  I was so angry the first time I had someone tell me that it was good, and I really had something, but that I should re-write it.  I was ticked off, but eventually I calmed down and realized that they were right.  Once I did that I was able to grow. I have also re-written it many, many, many, sigh... many times, and every time was worth it.
  So all I can say is, keep going and don't give up.  If you really believe that you have a voice, go for it.  I will keep going too and let you know when I am done.  Until then, I will just keep posting.  Later my friend.